Saturday, 25 April 2009

Transcribing. Ben Fogal’s South Pole expedition



BackGround.

 

Ben Fogle has teamed up with James Cracknell this time with Ed Coats, a Bristol based doctor, as Team QuinetiQ to take part in the inaugural South Pole Race, for the first in 97 years, since the great Norwegian-British race between Ronald Amundsen and Robert Falcon Scott. The route covered nearly 1000 kilometers, the Fogle team took 19 days to complete the race, coming second overall. Ben suffered hypothermia and frostbite of his nose while he battled temperatures as low as minus 50 degrees. The race was filmed by the BBC for the series, ‘On Thin Ice’ that is due to be aired in 2009. The book publisher Macmillan will publish an account of the pair's adventure in June 2009.


 Task.


I was given the video diary sections of the completed programme to transcribe, At first this was really interesting, Ben Fogal was less introspective and gave an insight into how they felt as they struggled to achieve their goal. James Cracknell learned about himself and how important it is to share fears & worries, during the narrative keeping things to himself let the team down. This resonated with me as I see the reflections of my own experiences, I have also learned that openly expressing my views is a much more constructive way to interact in a team. The actual work was difficult for me, I found the transcribing process very tiring despite being interested in the subject matter. 

Link

www.twofour.co.uk

1 comment: